GCFI Guidelines for Nomination of Directors of the Board
Directors of the Board of GCFI are expected to contribute to the mission of GCFI in several ways. These include helping with strategic planning, with identifying new funding sources, and with establishing new strategic partnerships. Moreover, Directors are expected to lead and/or participate in committees helping plan and operationalize the work of GCFI such as the Fisher Engagement Committee, the Students Award Committee, the Education Committee, and the Communications Committee among others.
Directors are expected to actively engage with GCFI throughout the year via remote and in-person meetings and to participate in the annual conference every year.
GCFI is seeking people with strong knowledge of the regional marine and fisheries landscape in the Gulf and Caribbean.
The duration of the term of a Director is four years.
- All Nominees (including Directors of the Board whose term expire this year and who are seeking re-nomination) must be nominated by a current member of GCFI though a nomination letter (max 100 words) in which the Nominator outlines how the GCFI Board would benefit from the (re-)incorporation of the Nominee into the Board;
- All Nominees must also provide a letter of interest (max 300 words) in which they briefly introduce themselves and outline how their skills, experience, and ideas could support the mission of GCFI;
- If the Nominee is a current Director of the Board, the letter of interest should also clearly outline how they have contributed to the Board during their previous term in office and how they plan to continue supporting the mission of GCFI;
- All letters of interest should include a summary paragraph (150 words max, as part of the 300-word total) that will be used to introduce the Nominee to the GCFI membership. This paragraph must be clearly identified in the letter with the header “Nominee profile”. An example of Nominee profile is given at the end of the page.
- All letters must be addressed to the “GCFI Nominations committee.”
- The GCFI nomination committee will check for the (1) completeness of the nomination package and (2) eligibility of both the Nominator and Nominee (see below);
- A slate with all eligible candidates will be created and presented to the GCFI Membership for vote;
- Nominees with the highest number of votes will be selected to fill in vacant Board posts and announced at the annual business meeting held at the GCFI conference;
- Only current GCFI members will be allowed to vote;
- The Nominee must be a current member of GCFI and have attended at least two of the last three annual conferences preceding his/her nomination;
- The Nominator must be a current member of GCFI.
Nomination documentation package:
- Letter of nomination (by a Nominator);
- Letter of interest (by the Nominee);
- Short Curriculum Vitae of the Nominee;
- Proof of current membership of the Nominator;
- Proof of current membership of the Nominee;
- Proof by the Nominee of attendance of at least two of the last three annual conferences;
- A photograph of the Nominee to include with the Nominee profile.
- Call for nominations opens on Sept 15st 2023;
- Deadline for submission of nomination packages is Oct 15th 2023;
- A slate of candidates will be disseminated to the GCFI Membership by Oct 31st 2023;
- All votes will take place through an online platform prior to the meeting;
- The period for voting will be announced later.
The different items in the nomination package should be collated into ONE single PDF document and sent to [email protected] with the subject: Nomination package for Name of nominee
All queries about the process should also be directed to [email protected]